8.01.2013

Stepping Up

Have you ever wondered what people are referring to when they say, "I stepped up this card?" Stepping up refers to taking a simple card & adding something to it to give it more detail. Let me show an example and then it will be more clear.



The first card is one that I taught at my last technique class. A very simple, easy to duplicate card.
The second card I "stepped up" by adding a layer of card stock and a piece of washi tape in the upper left corner.
While the first card is still nice, wouldn't you agree that the second one makes you say wow quicker than the first? It only took me an extra 60 seconds to step up the card! You can step up in many ways. Adding a punched piece, a rhinestone or ribbon, or using an embossing folder are just a few ideas.
The technique I used on this card is called color washing. The effect is achieved by using a clear block, our markers, & a Stampin' Spritzer filled with water. It typically won't turn out the same way twice!
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll post your own stepped up card on your blog or facebook & share the link in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment