2.11.2014

Bursting With Thanks

Do you have those stamp sets that really don't move you the first time you look at it in a catalog? For me it was Starburst Sayings in the Occasions Catalog. However, I started seeing really cute things made with this set and it started growing on me. Now that I own it, it is quickly becoming my favorite. You might have guessed that, since I'm using it two days in a row!


This card features a technique I have struggled with in the past, Embedded Embossing. I just never felt it looked quite right when I tried it. Today, I think I mastered it! I used the starburst stamp to create a background. To give it some extra dimension, I also used the stamp-off technique. In this case, I stamped twice before inking up again. Next, I used the smallest Starburst framelit to cut pieces from the Kaleidoscope Designer Series Paper. Once I glued those down, I ran the whole layer through the Big Shot with the Honeycomb embossing folder.

I felt that the card needed a little contrast so that my sentiment would stand out. The Basic Black Chevron ribbon came to the rescue. I knew I wanted to use the "Thank you so much" sentiment from Starburst Sayings. (Side note, I love the coordinating framelits! Could you imagine how frustrating it would be cutting THAT out by hand?) I knew I wanted a layer behind the thank you, but the next size up Starburst felt a little too big for this card. Then it hit me, "hexagon punch!" It was the perfect size and tied in with the embossing folder.

A note about adhering everything together. I used glue dots to glue the ribbon to the back of the Whisper White layer. This leaves the front loose and gives the illusion of the sentiment floating. The Crushed Curry Hexagon is attached to the ribbon using Sticky Strip. This way I am sure it is not going to fall off. When gluing down an embossing layer, I always use the Tombow Multipurpose Liquid Glue. Otherwise you could flatten some of the embossing by pushing too hard if you were using SNAIL or a glue stick.

My favorite thing about this card is that it is one big optical illusion! If I look long enough the starbursts seem to be rocking back and forth. While I love the chevron ribbon, it is not nice to my eyes while putting it on a card! My eyes play lots of tricks on me, which could be lupus-related, caused by the lupus meds, or just attributed to the fact that I'm getting old! Does anyone else think the ribbon is wider in the middle than it is on the left side? Oh, and while the ribbon is actually black and white; mixed with the Smoky Slate and Basic Grey on this card, it appears to be black and grey.

Basic Black 3/4" Chevron Ribbon

Hexagon Punch

Kaleidoscope DSP

Starburst Sayings Framelits Bundle

Honeycomb Embossing Folder

Other supplies used:
  Cardstock: Smoky Slate, Whisper White, Crushed Curry
  Ink: Bermuda Bay
  Tools: Paper Trimmer, Simply Scored, Bone Folder, Big Shot, Magnetic Platform
  Adhesive: SNAIL, Tombow Multipurpose Liquid Glue, Glue Dots, Sticky Strip

No comments:

Post a Comment